Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Greetings from Beijing!!


















I am probably the most doomed person when it comes to International flights, but after a three hour delay in Salt Lake City, a missed connection to Beijing in San Francisco, a night's stay at the San Bruno Courtyard (no thanks to United Airlines) and a re-booked flight for today (yesterday?) I have finally made it to Beijing! I have to get up at 4:45AM to get ready and catch a taxi at 5:30AM (the hotel shuttle doesn't run that early.) I have a 7:40AM flight to Guiyang, Guizhou Province, then a two hour (bus, cab, car, ummmm water buffalo?) ride to Qianxi. From there, I am waiting for my instructions as to whether I go straight to the hospital or to the hotel first. Crazy, crazy, crazy! On my flight over, I sat with eight girls from the U.S. Olympic synchronized swim team. We exchanged email information and I can't wait to watch the Beijing Olympics to cheer them on to the Gold! I ate breakfast with a really nice older couple who are touring China for the first time. The were able to get me into the United Evergreen Lounge as their special "guest." :) All in all, the flight was uneventful and I am now sitting at the Sino-Swiss Hotel. I am ready for a nap, but instead, I am going to cross the street to the market and do a little shopping for dinner. It is always fun trying to blog in China because all the icons are in Chinese characters. I have to try to remember what is what on blogger.com. Hah! Just part of the fun! :) Admittedly, I am getting really, really good at doing things on my own in China and actually getting around. My Mandarin accent is so good that people talk to me way too fast! Love it! You should see the Beijing International Airport. It is HUMONGOUS!!! The Salt Lake City Airport would fit inside the BIA at least 20 or 30 times over. Lastly, I was able to successfully courier an entire suitcase full of medical supplies for New Hope Foundation in Beijing. Robin met me at the airport to pick up the supplies. It was nice to see him again. He also informed me that one of their babies that had surgery in Singapore was due to arrive back any minute. I am glad he did not have to make two trips to the airport. All worked out well. Love you all and I miss you guys (D, K, E, G, L & A). Be good for daddy and don't torment him too bad! :) Here are a few pictures of my hotel (including the strange flush button for the toilet) and a couple of newer pictures of my silly girls.

Is it just me or does Lucy look like Yoko Ono in these pictures?! Ha ha ha!!

Love and kisses! Tracie

1 comment:

Dad said...

Have a wonderful trip

Love

Lisa