Friday, March 14, 2008

Anemia (I'd Rather Have an Anemone :)

Hi Everyone:

Dr. Gouw called me and had me come in today for more blood. I have learned that over the span of eight years (my blood draw history), I have progressively developed Chronic Anemia. It is not due to lack of iron, rather a lack of red blood cells, due to whatever autoimmune disorder is attacking and killing my cells. All of the obvious types of autoimmune disorders/diseases have already been ruled out - thank goodness! So, whatever I have has yet to be determined. Hopefully, it is something treatable or curable and my bone marrow can start properly producing and destroying cells again. I have lived in a "tired" state for so long that is has become the "norm" for me. Those who know me well, can you even imagine what I will be like running at 100% cell capacity??!! Who cares about whimpy 100 mile bike rides - I'll go for the 500 mile ride! Ha ha!!

To make a long story short, I have what is called Normocytic Anemia (normal shaped cells, just fewer of them.) Under NA, there are potentially four different sub-classes, or reasons why I might be Anemic. Under the four sub-classes, there are various causes. My form of Anemia is most likely either Aplastic Anemia or Chronic Disease Related Anemia. Neither sounds fun, so I have decided to call it Anemone instead, because they are pretty and flower-like sea creatures. Much more pleasant to think about.

The doctor is looking at my blood tonight under microscope, then I start my weekly draws on Wednesday. I have a feeling I will be seeing a lot of Dr. Gouw for a long time...

Overall, I feel good and am not worried because Dr. Gouw tells me not to worry. :) Easier said than done. Anemones, Anemones, Anemones. Happy thoughts!

More to come! Tracie

No comments: