Monday, September 24, 2007

OUR LAST POST FROM AMAZING CHINA...
















Hello Everyone:
It is with a terribly heavy heart that I write my last post from China. I am so happy to return home to my family, but a part of me always feels saddened when I leave China. While I am sitting here typing, Abbie is clomping around in my high heeled sandals. Some things that she does reminds me so much of Lucy. Tonight we went on a beautiful dinner cruise down the Pearl River. The neon lights on the high rise buildings on each side of the river are absolutely spectacular. On the bus ride back to the hotel, Connie sang a beautiful Chinese lullaby as an Autumn Moon Festival gift to all the babies. Her voice was absolutely amazing and brought tears to my eyes. Just like my experience adopting Lucy, it is always hard for me to leave this phenomenal country behind. It feels like a second home to me, which since I am blessed to have two Chinese daughters, it really is my second home after all. After Connie brought tears to our eyes, she convinced Andrew and Ericka to take the microphone and sing songs for the babies. A stunned Andrew Thompson worked his way through a couple of verses of “Wheels on the Bus” and Ericka’s voice rang lovely with a sweet rendition of “Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star.” She and I then sang a duet of “You are My Sunshine.” This is my favorite children’s song and I have sang it to each of my sweet babies – all five of them! Some of you may recall that I was in China last February/March during Chinese New Year (Spring Festival) and the Lantern Festival. This was an experience of a life time! Interestingly, tomorrow, the day we leave China, is the Autumn Harvest (Moon) Festival. It is a very important day for the Chinese and a day where families all over China get together to feast and celebrate their togetherness and blessings. According to the internet: “The Chinese Moon Festival is on the 15th of the 8th lunar month. It's also known as the Mid-autumn Festival. Chinese culture is deeply imbedded in traditional festivals. Just like Christmas and Thanksgiving in the West, the Moon Festival is one of the most important traditional events for the Chinese. The Moon Festival is full of legendary stories. Legend says that
Chang Er flew to the moon, where she has lived ever since. You might see her dancing on the moon during the Moon Festival. The Moon Festival is also an occasion for family reunions. When the full moon rises, families get together to watch the full moon, eat moon cakes, and sing moon poems. With the full moon, the legend, the family and the poems, you can't help thinking that this is really a perfect world. That is why the Chinese are so fond of the Moon Festival.” I cannot wait to get home and share my special White Swan sweet moon cakes with my family! Tomorrow, we will take our traditional “Red Couch” photo with all the CHI families in our group. Unfortunately, right after the photo we will head to the U.S. Consulate for our swearing in ceremony, then straight to the airport. You will just have to wait until we get to Los Angeles to see the pictures of all the sweet babies and children with special needs in our group. These children are amazing and because of the kindness of many organizations and individuals, these children have an opportunity for a full and blessed life in the United States, with families who will love them for who they are unconditionally. I love China, I love my family, and I love you. Thank you for sharing this special journey to Abbie Le Qian with us (and wish us luck on the long plane rides!) May this Autumn Harvest Festival find you surrounded by the sweet and unconditional love of your family. Always – Tracie XOXO

No comments: